USL/NASL Discussions USLSoccer.com :: USLFans.com :: TheCup.us :: NASL.com | Links | Link to US !
Article Posting Guidelines are spelled out here. Thanks
Announcement: After 15 years of life, these boards have dwindled to a place for a mere handful of folks to post links and have the rare discussion. Having born the financial burden for both the hosting and the software for that same 15 year period, and just not having the time anymore for this effort, I have decided to shutdown these boards at the end of the USL & NASL season later this Fall. It has truly been a blast to have been part of growing a nation-wide fanbase thru internet interaction, that in 1999 was slim or non-existent for the Lower Divisions of Soccer. That has all changed and for the better. Fan support around the country is nothing like what it was when I started this, so from that perspective, I feel I accomplished my small part in contributing to growing that connection into what it is today. Thanks for everyone's support over the years, and especially for all the friendships across the country that Vicki and I have so enjoyed (and still do) over the years. Thanks !! Dan Barnes
Who's Online
1 registered (Msilverstein47), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
Msilverstein47 82
Pghsoccer 29
jw7 22
futbol49 15
Soccer Boy 12
Forum Stats
7278 Members
134 Forums
28272 Topics
297686 Posts

Max Online: 152 @ 09/20/13 11:24 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#287003 - 01/20/13 01:57 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bornwithatail_]
Future Unwritten Offline
Novice

Originally Posted By: bornwithatail_

Anyhoo, ever since then I've been going to matches and kind of lurking on the fringes of the Clouds' stand, devouring blogs and podcasts, etc. I'm probably typical of a considerable demographic of casual soccer fans who are getting too old to go to punk shows on weeknights, are bored by the more mainstream sports, and would welcome a chance to get more involved with a local club and supporters' group. So, if you guys don't mind, I'll probably post some "questions from a newcomer" from time to time as they cross my mind.

Discovering Stars and Dark Clouds has been one of the awesomest things that's happened to me in a long time. So, thanks for existing and being so welcoming.

Sounds familiar. Seconded.

#287007 - 01/20/13 04:31 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: davedujour]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota United Gainesville
Originally Posted By: davedujour

Wasn't Weiler the player that sent you a postcard from the Thunder's spring training camp in....somewhere warm that year?

Yes. That is how it started.

While everyone else was getting cards from Nic Platter, Melvin Tarley and Johnny Greenfield I got stuck with Dale Weiler.

Who the hell was Dale Weiler?

I decided at that moment to make that man a star.

I think it worked.

#287008 - 01/20/13 04:33 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bq]
KungFu-sionMN Offline
Novice

I like how in the comments for this post, someone commented on is showing the Stars beating PR 4-0 and how it was dreaming. Little did they know we would beat then 4-0 twice.

#287010 - 01/20/13 05:25 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: KungFu-sionMN]
pdemko Offline
Reserve Squad Starter

Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
Quote:
Pretty sure that is his wife in the purple behind Tim. Who looks more excited?

she looks terrified. that is a priceless picture.

#287049 - 01/21/13 10:16 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: pdemko]
bruce Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: northeast minneapolis
Yes, the initial "organizing" meeting took place at the original Green Mill on Grand Ave in St Paul.

The reason that location was picked was because in the old days the Thunder post-game parties would happen at the Green Mill in Blaine, and we had gotten word that winter that the team was re-locating to James Griffin Stadium in St Paul. So we picked the Green Mill on Grand.

I may be mistaken about this but I believe it was AJWatt who came up with the idea to get some folks together so he posted a note on this board, picked a time and date, and then he and I just showed up not really knowing who else might be there.

He and I did know some of the other fans like Matthew, Bthrow, Leprechaun, Our Dovovan etc. But some other faces new to us showed up too. I want to say there was about a dozen people.

We talked about finding a "home" for us to rally at the new stadium. The first game at James Griffin I remember going to the Northwest corner of the stadium. Some time during the game others suggested we check out the spot in the North-central section of the stands that was directly behind the visiting team bench. By game number 2 that was our home.

The nickname for the stadium "The Jimmy" came soon after.

Edited by bruce (01/21/13 10:24 AM)

Overall Weirdness

du Nord Futbol Show podcast

#287059 - 01/21/13 11:49 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bruce]
Ayeready Offline
First Team Member

The Vuvunessies were my terrible idea.

I couldn't wear a sock puppet, hold a beer, blow a horn and annoy people all at the same time, and the Vuvunessie solved that problem.

Edited by Ayeready (01/21/13 11:51 AM)

#287060 - 01/21/13 12:42 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Ayeready]
Soccer Boy Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Negril, Jamaica
Originally Posted By: Ayeready
The Vuvunessies were my terrible idea.

I 100% disagree!

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley, former Liverpool manager

#TradeNickRogers

#287061 - 01/21/13 12:42 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Soccer Boy]
Soccer Boy Offline
Hall Of Famer

Other moments of Dark Cloud glory!

The Dual PK from me and Lightning Striker!

These shirts are a classic!

'Nuff said!

Smoke Bomb Dark Cloud-Style!

Already mentioned by SR, but worthy of a pic!

Chatting with the owner in the original beer garden.

The refs from the second leg of the 2011 NASL Championship series.

I little love from Nessy!

Edited by Soccer Boy (01/21/13 12:52 PM)

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley, former Liverpool manager

#TradeNickRogers

#287099 - 01/22/13 09:40 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: jw7]
Ayeready Offline
First Team Member

Originally Posted By: jw7

Hoppy Guy
The good trumpet player

Enthusiasm is good.

Only a select few
Any game where it rained all day long and then continued on throughout the whole game time. If you did not make the rain games you were not a real fan.
- I did not pay much attention to the DCs until the rain game in 2007. It was pouring so hard I had brought my best ski mountaineering Gore-Tex clothing and was quite comfortable during the 90 minute downpour. Many of the DCs showed up with little if any rain gear only a few umbrellas. After 90 minutes those 20 were still all there standing in the rain signing chants... They earned my respect that day. smile

I just received my print of a photo from the 2010 rain game vs Carolina - 3 of us standing in the stands, drenched to the skin, enjoying something happening in the Carolina goalmouth with just a hint of wildness in our eyes.

Rain games are the best.

#287108 - 01/22/13 02:05 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Ayeready]
Soccer Boy Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: Ayeready

Hoppy Guy
The good trumpet player

Enthusiasm is good.

Only a select few
Any game where it rained all day long and then continued on throughout the whole game time. If you did not make the rain games you were not a real fan.
- I did not pay much attention to the DCs until the rain game in 2007. It was pouring so hard I had brought my best ski mountaineering Gore-Tex clothing and was quite comfortable during the 90 minute downpour. Many of the DCs showed up with little if any rain gear only a few umbrellas. After 90 minutes those 20 were still all there standing in the rain signing chants... They earned my respect that day. smile

I just received my print of a photo from the 2010 rain game vs Carolina - 3 of us standing in the stands, drenched to the skin, enjoying something happening in the Carolina goalmouth with just a hint of wildness in our eyes.

Rain games are the best.

The Carolina home rain match also featured the return of Nic Platter. However, brought in the case of beer was my pick for Man of the Match. I think KJ was wearing those goofy shoes with holes for individual toes...and almost lost one or two due to frost bite. I recall Warren Ukah also kicking the ball around on the practice pitch during the rain delay and buying a beer for Wasson. I think he was on suspenion for yellow cards.

#TradeNickRogers

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  hairygrump, jimcrist 
USL Discussions Chatter
congrats 2014 W League champions
by Msilverstein47
07/27/14 07:59 PM
What's happening with soccer in Jacksonville?
by Msilverstein47
07/27/14 07:22 PM
NPSL semi-finals
by Msilverstein47
07/27/14 07:03 PM
2014 W League consolation match
by Msilverstein47
07/27/14 01:40 PM
Aztex record
by Msilverstein47
07/27/14 11:52 AM
'HoundsatRSLR