USL/NASL Discussions USLSoccer.com :: USLFans.com :: TheCup.us :: NASL.com | Links | Link to US !
Article Posting Guidelines are spelled out here. Thanks
Announcement: After 15 years of life, these boards have dwindled to a place for a mere handful of folks to post links and have the rare discussion. Having born the financial burden for both the hosting and the software for that same 15 year period, and just not having the time anymore for this effort, I have decided to shutdown these boards at the end of the USL & NASL season later this Fall. It has truly been a blast to have been part of growing a nation-wide fanbase thru internet interaction, that in 1999 was slim or non-existent for the Lower Divisions of Soccer. That has all changed and for the better. Fan support around the country is nothing like what it was when I started this, so from that perspective, I feel I accomplished my small part in contributing to growing that connection into what it is today. Thanks for everyone's support over the years, and especially for all the friendships across the country that Vicki and I have so enjoyed (and still do) over the years. Thanks !! Dan Barnes
Who's Online
1 registered (jw7), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
jw7 39
Msilverstein47 29
Pghsoccer 22
Yankiboy 14
futbol49 9
Forum Stats
7278 Members
134 Forums
28310 Topics
298138 Posts

Max Online: 152 @ 09/20/13 11:24 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#286846 - 01/18/13 06:05 AM Dark Clouds Legendaria
bornwithatail_ Offline
Novice

Loc: Saint Paul, MN
Two Questions:

1. How did Wonderwall come to be adopted as the supporters' anthem?

2. What is the origin of our affection for Cajun Creole Hot Nuts (other than because they're damned tasty)?

Edited by bornwithatail_ (01/18/13 06:05 AM)

#286854 - 01/18/13 07:09 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bornwithatail_]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

1. It's actually not a supporters anthem, Coach Craig started singing it in the locker room and then after a win two seasons ago the team started coming over to the stands to sing it to us. Now we sing it with them, and to them.

2. They are sold at the NSC.

#286855 - 01/18/13 07:12 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: pfutz]
TurkishZath Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Actually, Hot Nuts are sold at the NSC thanks to the tireless efforts of Neal/Lightning Striker to get them to sell them. Neal introduced them some time around 2004 or maybe 2003 to the supporters group and basically his enthusiasm was catching, especially with such tasty foodstuffs. That and it's fun to sing about hot nuts.

We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. - J. Michael Straczynski

#286857 - 01/18/13 07:19 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: TurkishZath]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Fair enough!

Perhaps we should pursue a sponsorship deal of some sorts with CCHN LLC. This could be a real money maker for the club.

#286858 - 01/18/13 07:31 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: pfutz]
jimcrist Offline
First Team Member

Loc: mpls
Originally Posted By: pfutz
Perhaps we should pursue a sponsorship deal of some sorts with CCHN LLC. This could be a real money maker for the club.

pretty sure neal has tried.

#286859 - 01/18/13 07:34 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: jimcrist]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

Hahahahah I would love to read that letter.

DEAR SIR AND OR MADAM
I HAVE A SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY TO MARKET YOUR PRODUCT TO A LARGE GROUP OF INEBRIATED RUFFIANS...

#286863 - 01/18/13 07:43 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: c0ldfuse]
GumbyGrrl Offline
First Team Starter

Loc: Blaine
You know, a FAQ/History section on the Dark Clouds website is a great idea.

Email/facebook/pm me or post here if you have things we should add.

I'll weed out the crap and try to make it look nice.

"At the end of the day, that's a soccer game." - Coach Lagos

#286868 - 01/18/13 08:16 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: GumbyGrrl]
bornwithatail_ Offline
Novice

A History/FAQ would be awesome for the zealous, yet recently converted.

#286874 - 01/18/13 08:43 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: GumbyGrrl]
matthew Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Ramsey, MN
Originally Posted By: GumbyGrrl

I know I have the date of the first meeting bookmarked on my home PC. If no one sends it to ya during the day expect me to get it to you tonight.

#286877 - 01/18/13 08:58 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

bornwithatail_ It'd be hepful if you kept track of all things you did not know about so we have a source of non-insider knowledge to populate the FAQ.

#286881 - 01/18/13 09:05 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: c0ldfuse]
JJE Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Twin Cities
There are lots of things in the forum history that might make interesting fodder. If someone has time to troll (EDIT: Whops, we have enough of that already, meant trawl) through some of those pages and maybe bump them or link them here that would be pretty cool. I would give you a whole bag of internet nuts.

Edited by JJE (01/18/13 09:20 AM)

#286882 - 01/18/13 09:07 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: pfutz]
jw7 Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: pfutz

2. They are sold at the NSC.

blush

Hot nuts is all Neil, he would give them away to everybody at the games.

They make you drink more beer because they are hot.
Don't rub your eyes after eating them.

Neil
Nessie -"The NSC stadium is just like Nessie, she's in a remote location and few will ever see her"

Taka headbands

"Lash it in there"
"Diving header"

The bad trumpet player

KJ
"Mighty mighty Thunder"

?
"Score damn it"

Grump

"We got whisky over here!"
Shouted loudly during a back and forth chant (we got beer over here...) going on during the game between the official supporters behind the visiting team bench, and the un-official slightly buzzed fans/supporters in the beer garden.

Bruce and I
Threatening the Portland Supporters signing chants against the Thunder (while they were beating us) to leave the Beer Garden peacefully, or else...

#286885 - 01/18/13 09:20 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: jw7]
jimcrist Offline
First Team Member

score damnit can be chalked up to neal too. i cannot claim responsibility for anything really.

#286886 - 01/18/13 09:36 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: c0ldfuse]
bornwithatail_ Offline
Novice

Originally Posted By: c0ldfuse
bornwithatail_ It'd be hepful if you kept track of all things you did not know about so we have a source of non-insider knowledge to populate the FAQ.

A list of everything I don't know would crash the servers. Long story short, a year ago I was a guy who would watch World Cup games and had some barely functional knowledge of the Premier League... and then Hairy Grump convinced me to watch the Stars v. RSL Open Cup match at Ye Olde Dankwater. [Insert crack/heroin analogy here.]

Anyhoo, ever since then I've been going to matches and kind of lurking on the fringes of the Clouds' stand, devouring blogs and podcasts, etc. I'm probably typical of a considerable demographic of casual soccer fans who are getting too old to go to punk shows on weeknights, are bored by the more mainstream sports, and would welcome a chance to get more involved with a local club and supporters' group. So, if you guys don't mind, I'll probably post some "questions from a newcomer" from time to time as they cross my mind.

Discovering Stars and Dark Clouds has been one of the awesomest things that's happened to me in a long time. So, thanks for existing and being so welcoming.

#286887 - 01/18/13 09:45 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bornwithatail_]
JJE Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: bornwithatail_
Ye Olde Dankwater

We really should petition Saeed to change the name to this.

#286888 - 01/18/13 09:56 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: jimcrist]
Leprechaun Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: jimcrist
score damnit can be chalked up to neal too. i cannot claim responsibility for anything really.

Not that it matters, but I believe credit/blame (depending on your perspective) for the origination of the Score, Damnit chant belongs to Our Donovan.

#286889 - 01/18/13 10:25 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Leprechaun]
matthew Offline
Hall Of Famer

on the subject of Our Donovan, he also was the one who brought the "Minnesota oh ah" chant.

the Dae-han-min-guk/Minn-A-So-Ta came from some randomn English dude who attended one game at the Jimmy. Unless he is now a regular and I just never put two and two together, if so sorry.

#286900 - 01/18/13 12:15 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
jw7 Offline
Hall Of Famer

The Jimmy in St Paul
Walking behind the goal to get to the north side while the players were warming up for the game. You had to keep your eyes open because if the player missed the net the ball came rocketing at the fans walking to their seats.

Dean Johnson tryed to serve drinks and beer to the fans at the Jimmy but to do that they had to put the "bar" over by the tennis courts about 100 yards away from the field. It did not work because it took a while to get a drink and you could not even see the field from out there.

Watching the players leave the field at half and watching them walk under the stands to who knows where__ as a locker room??

Being annoyed at all the little kids running around making too much noise during the game everywhere you went (except near the DCs the parents kept them away from the DCs...!) Few of them ever watched much of any game. After I figured out that the parents kept the kids away from the DCs I would sit further down past the supporters. I'm a loner, and like watching the game without interruptions* and talking. (*until the beer garden came along) I finally found my peaceful spot at the Jimmy past the DC's.

Dean Johnson
Say what you will, but the facts are he did elevate the game to a better field, better play, and he did build a better place to serve drinks from and to watch the game from.
I miss that first beer garden, many good things happened there.

The NSC Beer Garden1
I have been to many soccer games in my lifetime, no place better to watch a game from than the NSC Beer Garden1.
-Each and every Corner Kick, it was if you were on the field and in the game standing that close to the field.
-The shoot-out where the ref moved the PKs to the other side of the field to "make it fair".
-The hole in the front wall of "My Seat" where I put my foot through the wood by kicking the boards to make noise during a big game moment.
-The fact that the front row terrace of the Beer Garden1 was almost literally a reserved spot for some of us fans. I do remember walking up one day and seeing a few young guys standing in my corner spot nearest the goal and joking to them that they were in my seat... and they then to my surprise they moved up to the second row and said someone told them not to stand in the front row... smile
-After about three years a shot went over the net and came directly into the Beer Garden and took the beer right out of of of the Minnesota Thunder youth team coaches that just happened to be wearing a new MLS Portland Timbers jersey.

Superrookie
Dale Wheiler fan club
-One day Rook showed up with a sign that read; The Official Dale Weiler Fan Club. He had it every game after that. I asked Rook why he chose Dale (Dale was a good player but kinda new at that point and had only played a few minutes up to this points). Rook answered that he picked a player he thought would never get to play and just went with it... Dale played well but was mainly used as a sub late in the game.

- Oneday Rook and his friends started a chant to put Dale in the game (I think we were losing) and the coach Donny G. look over to the beer garden saw us all signing for Dale and a few minutes later he put Dale in the game. We all then laughed loudly. If I remember right he then scored a goal and gave us one point...
Too many others to remember for this very creative NSC cycle rider turned NSC soccer fan...

Boy of Soccer
Beer in the Carolina GK's water bottle, nuff said. I told you the Beer Garden1 was close to the field.

Andy
The owl?? Can't even tell you anything about it. I think someone once told me but it still made no sense to anyone other than the DCs?

TurkishZath
Sitting al alone in the bleaches behind the goal in the north end because of something that went on with the one of of the supporters...?

Hoppy Guy
The good trumpet player

Only a select few
Any game where it rained all day long and then continued on throughout the whole game time. If you did not make the rain games you were not a real fan.
- I did not pay much attention to the DCs until the rain game in 2007. It was pouring so hard I had brought my best ski mountaineering Gore-Tex clothing and was quite comfortable during the 90 minute downpour. Many of the DCs showed up with little if any rain gear only a few umbrellas. After 90 minutes those 20 were still all there standing in the rain signing chants... They earned my respect that day. smile

Even fewer
Driving down to Rochester to see the Minnesota Thunder PDL team play. I swear they had more fans at their PDL games then we were drawing to the D2 games that year.
-We picked up Takada, Rodriguez from that team. Takada was a stand out player. I remember KJ was siting a few rows below us and came up at half to talk about the play of the PDL team. He though Lucas was a good player, I remember he spotted him before anyone else that was there that day. We then watched him and all agreed he was dominating his side of the field and playing well. I wrote about the two players here on this site. Those two players played on the D2 team the next season.

Edited by jw7 (01/18/13 09:54 PM)

#286902 - 01/18/13 12:29 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: jw7]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Loc: Duluth, MN
What the hell happened to the owl? And did the NSC relocate Gary the Cat when the beer garden was destroyed?

#286904 - 01/18/13 12:42 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: HooligansFC]
JJE Offline
Hall Of Famer

Pretty sure the owl is still in the storage area at the NSC. No word on the current location of Lutz Pfannenstiel (more info)

Edited by JJE (01/18/13 12:45 PM)

#286906 - 01/18/13 01:05 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: JJE]
matthew Offline
Hall Of Famer

I have always felt bad about that story cause it was all BS. The original Owl was named "Lou the Derby Owl" which was a trophy played for between two local Bandy teams. Neal broke it out originally for Timbers game in some sort of connection with logging and Owls.

"High and Wide" - Fridley Bob

"Total Jackassery" - here is my memory of it, Zath was telling us at a tailgate about how he approached the future Mrs. Zath at a party after a Thunder game and one of his soon to be in-laws asked if he is with those "jackasses with the drums and horns?". Everyone had a good laugh and agreed it was a good description of us. Soon someone used the term "jackassery" and quickly "total jackassery" followed.

Edited by matthew (01/18/13 01:09 PM)

#286907 - 01/18/13 01:08 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
JJE Offline
Hall Of Famer

You know, I knew that, but I liked the other story better so I internalized it. I say we go with the Lutz story.

#286909 - 01/18/13 01:10 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: JJE]
KungFu-sionMN Offline
Novice

Originally Posted By: JJE
Pretty sure the owl is still in the storage area at the NSC.

It's there, atleast it was at the end of the last season.

#286912 - 01/18/13 01:13 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: KungFu-sionMN]
seamonster Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minneapolis
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

#286915 - 01/18/13 01:36 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: seamonster]
matthew Offline
Hall Of Famer

Always felt bad for answering Ford with that story and never finding out if anyone set him straight.

Was the Nessie sock puppet a straight invention from Mrs. Superrookie? Or did she get the idea from hoppyguy putting a sock on his hand at a tailgate party before KC vc DC match?

Also who came up with the vuzuNessie?

who put together the hot nuts flag?

#286916 - 01/18/13 01:50 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

What is Ludwig's history? I know it was mentioned during last year's supporters summit.

#286918 - 01/18/13 02:02 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

Originally Posted By: matthew

who put together the hot nuts flag?
That was Superrookie and his brother. They requested the un-stitched bag material from the manufacturer and Kevin sewed it together.

I'm looking at it as I type this. It's a priceless piece of folk art.

#286923 - 01/18/13 02:20 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
TurkishZath Offline
Hall Of Famer

"Total Jackassery" - here is my memory of it, Zath was telling us at a tailgate about how he approached the future Mrs. Zath at a party after a Thunder game and one of his soon to be in-laws asked if he is with those "jackasses with the drums and horns?". Everyone had a good laugh and agreed it was a good description of us. Soon someone used the term "jackassery" and quickly "total jackassery" followed.

Ah, memories.

We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. - J. Michael Straczynski

#286928 - 01/18/13 03:30 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: TurkishZath]
seamonster Offline
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet but the founder of the Dark Clouds was a gentleman by the name of Wolfman Jack.

#286930 - 01/18/13 04:24 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: seamonster]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

I thought it was Crist, Bruce, Neal, two others?

#286935 - 01/18/13 05:15 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
Our Donovan Offline
Novice

"on the subject of Our Donovan, he also was the one who brought the "Minnesota oh ah" chant." Mathwew

I don't think I created the "Minnesota oh ah" chant but I will take credit for the lyrics and for being dumb enough to keep doing it at match after match. I think its high point was reached in Chicago prior to the Poland friendly. There was a good 12 or so of us in Section 8 and we all stood and gave it our all. I recall a lot of Section 8ers mumbling about us being displaced Twins fans.

As to "Score, Damm It," I think LS gets the credit.

We should do a continuing thread on all this. Who could forget standing up at the Dallas restaurant and chanting "Stand up if you hate Milwaukee"? The poor waitress from Wisconsin never saw it coming.

Donovan

#286936 - 01/18/13 05:37 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: c0ldfuse]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

Someone please post the Stars-score-falling-kid series.

#286939 - 01/18/13 06:33 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: GumbyGrrl]
matthew Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: GumbyGrrl

Ok I looked and what I have isn't exactly the first meeting of the Dark Clouds but the first meeting of what would become the Dark Clouds. The DC's wouldn't become the DC's for another season or two. There was a period where we were known by no name but just the Dark Cloud symbol, which I believe would follow the season after the link I will provide after this... Or maybe it was for that first the symbol appeared and in 2005 the name started to become used more often.

Anyways, why I feel this is the first meeting of the dark clouds and had it bookmarked was cause it was the first time the group of fans who didn't walk out with the Thunderhead leadership at the grassbowl game against the Timbers finally decided to focus on being more organized and growing. It started at the Local(correction:Brits), the season finally the year before, with us agreeing on starting up a website (what else were we gonna be talking about? The Thunder were thourghly beat by the Battery in that game. Maybe if Ferruzi or Menyongar scored early it would have been different. I am trying to remember who it was now that had an early chance from an early corner. Anybody?) which would become "blueskysoccer". Over that offseason a date and location was picked and it was attended by maybe 15 at the most? Distributor, halfchance, and a friend who never signed up on the board, ajwatt, me, my friend who had the tag bthrow, uchlem, and his mrs., leperchaun, bruce and I think zath?, our donovan?, CL?, Dang?, and, maybe Dan Barnes?. Of course most important was the team rep, a new hire from the defunct Indiana Blast, DjornB. If I forgot anyone please mention you were there.

3/8/2004

After this meeting the group continued to grow and expand into the awesome beast it is today.

I'd try and dig deeper and find more exact info but "Malibu Nights" from The FP soundtrack just came on and it's Friday night.

edit to add: WolfMan Jack was at the GreenMill that night too but not for the meeting. Rather he was there for the deep dish pizza cause he heard, "RAVE REVIEWS!" about it, which is what he told us.

Edited by matthew (01/19/13 03:07 AM)

#286970 - 01/19/13 01:51 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota United Gainesville
Sarah came up with the idea for the Nessy Sock Puppet.

I contacted the Hot Nuts folks about the bags and they sent a giant box for the flag in which my brother cut them up for the labels and sewed the flag.

The Dale Weiler Fan Club can best be remembered for this photo:

#286971 - 01/19/13 01:55 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: thesuperrookie]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

Gary The Cat: This one is funny. I was setting up banners in the beer garden (the giant BELIEVE one) and I heard Meowing. I swear there was meowing, but I didn't know where it was coming from.

I went to the door that led to underneath the beer garden and looked inside and sure enough there WAS A CAT! No one believed me when I rushed back to the tailgate. KJ snickered and I told him I could prove it!

Sure enough, only Amy came to see the cat and since then the legend of Gary the Cat was born and we started a chant, "Gary Gary The Wonderful Wonderful Cat"

Gary was the original Grumpy Cat.

#286974 - 01/19/13 02:28 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: thesuperrookie]
davedujour Offline
First Team Member

Originally Posted By: thesuperrookie
Sarah came up with the idea for the Nessy Sock Puppet.

I contacted the Hot Nuts folks about the bags and they sent a giant box for the flag in which my brother cut them up for the labels and sewed the flag.

The Dale Weiler Fan Club can best be remembered for this photo:

Wasn't Weiler the player that sent you a postcard from the Thunder's spring training camp in....somewhere warm that year?

#286980 - 01/19/13 06:17 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: davedujour]
jimcrist Offline
First Team Member

Pretty sure that is his wife in the purple behind Tim. Who looks more excited?

#286981 - 01/19/13 06:59 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: jimcrist]
Hoppy Guy Offline
First Team Member

Loc: Uptown Minneapolis, MN
Oh how I miss Friendly Bob! 'High and Wide' is a classic.

It's great to read this thread. The possibilities are endless.

I remember when Neal first brought Hot Nuts to a match. He'd yell, "Hot Nuts! Get your Hot Nuts here!" "Just don't get the Hot Nuts dust in your eyes!"

Within this History Web Page, Song/Chant development Should be included. I've got "Goals" -Beasty Boys, "The Hustle", "Suicide is Painless" and "Misty". There's so many!!! Wess has been brilliant the last two years...

I have quite a library of photographs going back to pre-Jimmy years. Grilling out of Neal's Soccer Ball Grill comes to mind.

The Score Board, The Blue Wagon, History of Smoke(AJ), Flags/Banners.. Photo's of all our Scarves...

Good thread!

#286993 - 01/20/13 08:22 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Hoppy Guy]
Soccer Boy Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Negril, Jamaica
Loved the VuvuNessies!

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley, former Liverpool manager

#TradeNickRogers

#286999 - 01/20/13 12:33 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Soccer Boy]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota

#287003 - 01/20/13 01:57 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bornwithatail_]
Future Unwritten Offline
Novice

Originally Posted By: bornwithatail_

Anyhoo, ever since then I've been going to matches and kind of lurking on the fringes of the Clouds' stand, devouring blogs and podcasts, etc. I'm probably typical of a considerable demographic of casual soccer fans who are getting too old to go to punk shows on weeknights, are bored by the more mainstream sports, and would welcome a chance to get more involved with a local club and supporters' group. So, if you guys don't mind, I'll probably post some "questions from a newcomer" from time to time as they cross my mind.

Discovering Stars and Dark Clouds has been one of the awesomest things that's happened to me in a long time. So, thanks for existing and being so welcoming.

Sounds familiar. Seconded.

#287007 - 01/20/13 04:31 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: davedujour]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: davedujour

Wasn't Weiler the player that sent you a postcard from the Thunder's spring training camp in....somewhere warm that year?

Yes. That is how it started.

While everyone else was getting cards from Nic Platter, Melvin Tarley and Johnny Greenfield I got stuck with Dale Weiler.

Who the hell was Dale Weiler?

I decided at that moment to make that man a star.

I think it worked.

#287008 - 01/20/13 04:33 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bq]
KungFu-sionMN Offline
Novice

I like how in the comments for this post, someone commented on is showing the Stars beating PR 4-0 and how it was dreaming. Little did they know we would beat then 4-0 twice.

#287010 - 01/20/13 05:25 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: KungFu-sionMN]
pdemko Offline
Reserve Squad Starter

Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
Quote:
Pretty sure that is his wife in the purple behind Tim. Who looks more excited?

she looks terrified. that is a priceless picture.

#287049 - 01/21/13 10:16 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: pdemko]
bruce Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: northeast minneapolis
Yes, the initial "organizing" meeting took place at the original Green Mill on Grand Ave in St Paul.

The reason that location was picked was because in the old days the Thunder post-game parties would happen at the Green Mill in Blaine, and we had gotten word that winter that the team was re-locating to James Griffin Stadium in St Paul. So we picked the Green Mill on Grand.

I may be mistaken about this but I believe it was AJWatt who came up with the idea to get some folks together so he posted a note on this board, picked a time and date, and then he and I just showed up not really knowing who else might be there.

He and I did know some of the other fans like Matthew, Bthrow, Leprechaun, Our Dovovan etc. But some other faces new to us showed up too. I want to say there was about a dozen people.

We talked about finding a "home" for us to rally at the new stadium. The first game at James Griffin I remember going to the Northwest corner of the stadium. Some time during the game others suggested we check out the spot in the North-central section of the stands that was directly behind the visiting team bench. By game number 2 that was our home.

The nickname for the stadium "The Jimmy" came soon after.

Edited by bruce (01/21/13 10:24 AM)

Overall Weirdness

du Nord Futbol Show podcast

#287059 - 01/21/13 11:49 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bruce]
Ayeready Offline
First Team Member

The Vuvunessies were my terrible idea.

I couldn't wear a sock puppet, hold a beer, blow a horn and annoy people all at the same time, and the Vuvunessie solved that problem.

Edited by Ayeready (01/21/13 11:51 AM)

#287060 - 01/21/13 12:42 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Ayeready]
Soccer Boy Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: Ayeready
The Vuvunessies were my terrible idea.

I 100% disagree!

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley, former Liverpool manager

#TradeNickRogers

#287061 - 01/21/13 12:42 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Soccer Boy]
Soccer Boy Offline
Hall Of Famer

Other moments of Dark Cloud glory!

The Dual PK from me and Lightning Striker!

These shirts are a classic!

'Nuff said!

Smoke Bomb Dark Cloud-Style!

Already mentioned by SR, but worthy of a pic!

Chatting with the owner in the original beer garden.

The refs from the second leg of the 2011 NASL Championship series.

I little love from Nessy!

Edited by Soccer Boy (01/21/13 12:52 PM)

#TradeNickRogers

#287099 - 01/22/13 09:40 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: jw7]
Ayeready Offline
First Team Member

Originally Posted By: jw7

Hoppy Guy
The good trumpet player

Enthusiasm is good.

Only a select few
Any game where it rained all day long and then continued on throughout the whole game time. If you did not make the rain games you were not a real fan.
- I did not pay much attention to the DCs until the rain game in 2007. It was pouring so hard I had brought my best ski mountaineering Gore-Tex clothing and was quite comfortable during the 90 minute downpour. Many of the DCs showed up with little if any rain gear only a few umbrellas. After 90 minutes those 20 were still all there standing in the rain signing chants... They earned my respect that day. smile

I just received my print of a photo from the 2010 rain game vs Carolina - 3 of us standing in the stands, drenched to the skin, enjoying something happening in the Carolina goalmouth with just a hint of wildness in our eyes.

Rain games are the best.

#287108 - 01/22/13 02:05 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Ayeready]
Soccer Boy Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: Ayeready

Hoppy Guy
The good trumpet player

Enthusiasm is good.

Only a select few

I just received my print of a photo from the 2010 rain game vs Carolina - 3 of us standing in the stands, drenched to the skin, enjoying something happening in the Carolina goalmouth with just a hint of wildness in our eyes.

Rain games are the best.

The Carolina home rain match also featured the return of Nic Platter. However, brought in the case of beer was my pick for Man of the Match. I think KJ was wearing those goofy shoes with holes for individual toes...and almost lost one or two due to frost bite. I recall Warren Ukah also kicking the ball around on the practice pitch during the rain delay and buying a beer for Wasson. I think he was on suspenion for yellow cards.

#TradeNickRogers

#290449 - 04/02/13 09:31 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Soccer Boy]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota
It was an honor to be asked by the NASL to come out of my temporary writing retirement to document, in story, the Dark Clouds history. I say honor not because the NASL asked me, but because I was asked to write a story about what I believe to be the best lower league supporters group in North America. Cheers to all of you.

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4260

#290454 - 04/02/13 10:32 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: bq]
GregX Offline
First Team Member

Loc: Eagan
Saw it on Twitter this morning. Great work as usual. It was also nice to see the comments on the FB page calling the DC's a class act. Makes me proud to be associated with the group, however loosely.

If the Loons are United, we will never be divided

#290459 - 04/02/13 01:44 PM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: matthew]
Amy Offline
First Team Member

Loc: St Paul

Oh hey! That was my sister or me who said that.....That's kind of fun.

Very cool article, BQ.

#290949 - 04/11/13 07:07 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: Amy]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

There are times when a simple picture is enough:

#290951 - 04/11/13 07:34 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: thesuperrookie]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

This thing is going into the Minnesota Soccer hall of fame, right next to the Hot Nut flag.

THERE IS ONLY ONE DALE WEILER
THERE IS ONLY ONE DALE WEILER
WALKING ALONG SINGING HIS SONG
WALKING ALONG IN A WEILER WONDERLAND

#290959 - 04/11/13 08:56 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: thesuperrookie]
pdemko Offline
Reserve Squad Starter

Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
Quote:
class act

They must have been talking about some other group.

#290990 - 04/11/13 10:14 AM Re: Dark Clouds Legendaria [Re: pdemko]
GregX Offline
First Team Member

Loc: Eagan
Originally Posted By: pdemko
Quote:
class act

They must have been talking about some other group.

I may have accidentally added the "cl"

If the Loons are United, we will never be divided

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  hairygrump, jimcrist 
USL Discussions Chatter
Get ready! A new WC 2022 vote may happen.
by jw7
11/23/14 06:55 PM
Sale of Minnesota Stars
by jw7
11/22/14 08:00 PM
MLS expansion franchise???
by Pghsoccer
11/22/14 03:09 PM
Former Rowdies "Where are you?!!"
by futbol49
11/21/14 10:36 AM
MLS very popular indeed