USL/NASL Discussions USLSoccer.com :: USLFans.com :: TheCup.us :: NASL.com | Links | Link to US !
Article Posting Guidelines are spelled out here. Thanks
Announcement: After 15 years of life, these boards have dwindled to a place for a mere handful of folks to post links and have the rare discussion. Having born the financial burden for both the hosting and the software for that same 15 year period, and just not having the time anymore for this effort, I have decided to shutdown these boards at the end of the USL & NASL season later this Fall. It has truly been a blast to have been part of growing a nation-wide fanbase thru internet interaction, that in 1999 was slim or non-existent for the Lower Divisions of Soccer. That has all changed and for the better. Fan support around the country is nothing like what it was when I started this, so from that perspective, I feel I accomplished my small part in contributing to growing that connection into what it is today. Thanks for everyone's support over the years, and especially for all the friendships across the country that Vicki and I have so enjoyed (and still do) over the years. Thanks !! Dan Barnes
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
Msilverstein47 29
jw7 27
futbol49 23
Pghsoccer 23
Soccer Boy 15
Forum Stats
7278 Members
134 Forums
28295 Topics
297901 Posts

Max Online: 152 @ 09/20/13 11:24 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286049 - 12/13/12 12:50 PM Portland Thorns/Crest Survey
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Loc: NE MPLS
I was admiring the new Portland Women's team brand: Portland Thorns and thought it would be fun to poll everyone on what they think of MLS brands (MLS Extratime radio was talking about this as well).
If you had to rank them, what would be the best/worst?

I'll get you started: Toronto FC is a generic name with a decent logo, but nothing particularly catchy, but I think it's a good brand for some reason. Don't know why.
Best brands: Philly Union (oh that crest is genius! Great colors). Portland Timbers (crest is iconic). Chicago fire (again, that crest has character and is iconic).
Meh brands: Sporting KC (they've made it work, but the crest is a bit generic), Montreal Impact (dumb name, I love the fleur de lis, but think it could be a better crest).
Shoot me in the face bad: Columbus Crew (someone should be shot for this), SJ Earthquakes, New England.

Your turn. Agree? Other nominations?

#286050 - 12/13/12 01:31 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Clever crest design considering the brand. Donít love the meaningless white spiked bar around the interior grey circle but itís not the end of the world.

This is basically a rehash of the Mexican sideís crest and itís obviously a very traditional design. Itís fine.

I think this one is pretty good for an American soccer crest. It has the requisite soccer ball, but itís not too obnoxious considering overall the crest has a pretty streamlined design.

Barf. Probably the worst crest in all of soccer.

I think this feels very dated, the type looks like the logo from HBOís Oz. Overall I think itís pretty bad but I suppose considering itís history itís nice that they havenít redone the thing.

Keep gradients out of logo designs as they do not resize well. The bull itself is pretty fine, I think itís novel that they wedged the Dallas burn nod into it. Overall itís pretty middle of the road, I appreciate that itís not incredibly superfluous and pseudo euro.

This is logo would be great if it was for the USSF and it was 1992 but neither of those things are the case.

Eh, I think itís not the worst but I feel like there was a very missed opportunity here. The logo nods to nothing excluding the central star obviously denoting Texas, which is kind of flippant to me.

At least the star isnít five pointed.

Aformention gradient issues aside I think itís basically good. I thought they really, really, oversold it with their launch video however. Everything should have meaning in a crest, but holy crap did they make sure you knew it.

#286051 - 12/13/12 01:32 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

This would look great on an aluminum can.

I think those smell squiggles coming off the soccer ball are supposed to be the quake part.

I think this is pretty bad. Overly busy, has the acronym and the name of the team on the same crest.

This is one of the best crests in the league. While the design style (not the contents) is a little ďContemporary AmericanĒ for me, it does a good job of having meaning without beating you over the head.

Donít love that they just MLS-ified (i.e. made cartoony) their old crest, but itís still basically the same, good, functional crest. Good work overall.

This is pretty good, the spikes of it are not my favorite but the thing has solid, simple, obvious meaning. The type could have been handled better perhaps. Seattle gets hard to hard to read as soon as it shrinks but at least they didnít use a serif text.

Weird and bulgy crest. I donít get it. Bad treatment on the type for SC. Difficult legibility on the Kansas City from the light grey and white.

I love this crest. I love the gunmetal and red, I like the stylized maple life. I like the type treatment. Clever feathering on the banner to make it seem leaf-y. Good all around.

Favorite in the league. Very nuanced nod to not only the name, but the asthetic of the city being on the water and right against the Canadian Rockies. Very simple, very modern. So good.

#286052 - 12/13/12 01:36 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

"I think those smell squiggles coming off the soccer ball are supposed to be the quake part."

-Smell squiggles. THAT'S IT. I have been trying to figure out why those look stupid.
Also, I guess I haven't looked at the RSL badge much. Wow it's dumb. The goofy "e" in Real...

#286053 - 12/13/12 01:45 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Loc: Duluth, MN
or the fact that there's absolutely nothing "royal" about the team. Real is an awful tradition picked up from overseas. Most probably know that the name Real, meaning royal, was actually given to team in Spain BY THE KING OF SPAIN! Why the hell try and transfer that to a country with no relation to a monarchy. RSL really was one of those ploys by MLS to pick up a certain kind of fan. I like the team and i actually like the blood red, navy blue and gold, but i agree, the logo's a bit weak

#286054 - 12/13/12 01:50 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

I also feel that the 8 6 points around the grey circle of the Fire's has a significance to the city. I'm not sure what, but i feel like i read that somewhere. I'm probably wrong tho.

And before pfutz mentioned it, i've never really looked at Colorado's. It is a decent design.

Lastly, Whitecaps. I never got it til now. maybe i was blind and dumb, or i just didn't pay attention to it, but it makes way more sense now. Now that i got it, i'm impressed with it.

Edited by HooligansFC (12/13/12 02:08 PM)
Edit Reason: can't count i guess

#286055 - 12/13/12 01:58 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

And speaking of logos..... did anyone catch the four finalists crests of Atlanta Silverbacks' contest???

I really couldn't pick one. I'd call for another set... Honestly their facebook album had a few that i would consider a good design, but none of them were picked as a finalist. Have a look for yourself

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.459948847389681.113905.142163815834854&type=3

#286056 - 12/13/12 02:06 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
goatcart Offline
Novice

Originally Posted By: HooligansFC
I also feel that the 8 points around the grey circle of the Fire's has a significance to the city. I'm not sure what, but i feel like i read that somewhere. I'm probably wrong tho.

I'm pretty sure those are the points of the stars used on Chicago's city flag.

[img]http://introvert.net/images/2005/02/chicago-star-full[/img]

Edited by goatcart (12/13/12 02:08 PM)

#286057 - 12/13/12 02:08 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

I also feel that the 8 points around the grey circle of the Fire's has a significance to the city. I'm not sure what, but i feel like i read that somewhere. I'm probably wrong tho.
The stars on the Chicago municipal flag have six points, so those six "spikes" are the points of the star. That stuff is somewhere in everything the Fire graphic office put out.

#286058 - 12/13/12 02:09 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

my bad

#286059 - 12/13/12 02:13 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

The ATL logo design is again, the dumbest thing ever.
I should also note, I really liked the Chicago Red Stars brand. Classy.
And we should also note that all of the NASL brands are terrible. But it's so easy to pick out terrible brands (yet teams continue to fall into their traps).

I'll say for Sporting KC. I think they got their jerseys and color combo right. The logo might be generic, but it looks great on their jerseys.

#286060 - 12/13/12 02:39 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

They can't all be a chicken standing on an American football, Wes.

#286061 - 12/13/12 02:50 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
gordieloewen Offline
Reserve Squad Starter

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I still can't get over how much better our logo/crest is than the rest of the NASL teams though. The Stars and Edmonton are the only clubs that have a visual brand that has some depth to it without looking cartoony. As far as the NASL goes, I actually kind of hate most of the graphic stuff from the nostalgia/throwback team brands. It's sort of odd, considering that the only disagreement that I have with the previous statements about MLS branding is that I actually really like the "historic" DC United crest. It's pretty flat and static, but it does a nice job of conveying their history as an original league franchise, especially since it's only the second visual brand they've ever had.
Kids theses days... Back in my day we thought that crosses were supposed to be directed AT someone. I guess that's not cool or hep anymore. Oh sure, just whip it in there at no one. I'm sure Mario Balotelli will whine it in to the net.

#286062 - 12/13/12 02:53 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota
And speaking of logos..... did anyone catch the four finalists crests of Atlanta Silverbacks' contest???

I really couldn't pick one. I'd call for another set... Honestly their facebook album had a few that i would consider a good design, but none of them were picked as a finalist.

Hooligan, you do know that whoever wins this will then be put up against their current logo (also bad) and a new logo commissioned by the team and designed by a graphic illustrator that hopefully has some background in this sort of thing?

#286063 - 12/13/12 02:55 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

BTW Minnesota Nice FC, I don't even begin to understand the basis of this thread you have created. There is nothing in it concerning the Cosmos. crazy

#286064 - 12/13/12 03:40 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Originally Posted By: bq

I really couldn't pick one. I'd call for another set... Honestly their facebook album had a few that i would consider a good design, but none of them were picked as a finalist.

Hooligan, you do know that whoever wins this will then be put up against their current logo (also bad) and a new logo commissioned by the team and designed by a graphic illustrator that hopefully has some background in this sort of thing?

I did not. then, there's still a chance that they'll have a decent logo in the end. wouldn't want to be that graphic designer, i imagine the following conversation.....

"here...we play soccer. our colors are black and red. our mascot's a gorilla and we love the over usage of ATL"

#286065 - 12/13/12 03:51 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: gordieloewen]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Originally Posted By: gordieloewen
It's sort of odd, considering that the only disagreement that I have with the previous statements about MLS branding is that I actually really like the "historic" DC United crest. It's pretty flat and static, but it does a nice job of conveying their history as an original league franchise, especially since it's only the second visual brand they've ever had.

to me, i'm torn with DC. Like you said, original team, little change over their entire history, the fact that they have a long history and I've seen some bad ass tifo with that bird. but in the end, it continues to remind me of a hood of a 70's firebird.

Edited by HooligansFC (12/13/12 03:55 PM)

#286066 - 12/13/12 03:57 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

You're right, Tim. That is completely awesome.

#286067 - 12/13/12 05:45 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Good to know about Chicago's crest. I think I get why it's there regardless as it needs to be more than just a fire dept. logo.

I really couldn't pick one. I'd call for another set... Honestly their facebook album had a few that i would consider a good design, but none of them were picked as a finalist. Have a look for yourself

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.459948847389681.113905.142163815834854&type=3

Atlanta's stuff is really bleh. But I also find red and black a really gross color combination in most executions.

I'm curious as to why the ATL type lockup seems so popular... is that a team logo or a city logo or something? Just curious.

From left to right:

1: Super boring, maybe that's to it's benefit. There's simply less to go wrong in the first place.

2: The best of the three, I guess. Don't love the red black stripes on the circular border, why add more visual interest? I get that they like striped jerseys but I don't think it requires a nod.

3: Definitely the best of the logos which actually have a gorilla in it (get a load of those if you want some bad design). I like the idea but it maybe could use a bit more work. Simple is always a benefit.

4: Probably my most hated option here. I don't get why you need an abbreviation and the word that's abbreviated in the logo. The ring also makes this big white space that ends up feeling very empty. The nature of the type lockup central with the est date below it (woefully illegible) means there's this massive unbalanced white space above the A.

I think it's fun to have community driven design events, but ultimately I think it's better to leave a brand in the hands of people who have a clearer thought process. We as fans have trouble removing our own nerdy historical intimacy and vast catalog of knowledgeónot to mention the mass of people who simply don't know how to design in the first place.

Also - I agree that most of the NASL branding is pretty weak. Our's is pretty strong, though I do have to give it to the Cosmos because I love the crest. So simple, very "traditional soccer" while still feeling very much American. Uniquely 70's but it's aged far better than the Rowdies or Strikers for example.

I can't be sure if it's just some kind of misbegotten nostalgia that makes me so attracted to it, maybe, but I do think it has a strong foundation as well.

Either way [censored] em.

#286069 - 12/13/12 06:31 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

I feel like the first one is so generic, that in fact it looks just like the fake mock up of NASL Virginia crest without a question mark with different colors.

second one is ok, but i have to say, both 2 and 4 remind me of a poker chip. just not that exciting. the AS is ok, but i get the feeling the designer is an AS Roma fan cuz he tried multiple AS combinations including one that looked like a Bumpy pitch design and a couple others on the face book page.

Agreed that the third one finally has a gorilla on it.

and everything Ben said is true about the third, just the fonts, the size, the design. Fail.

Of all the designs on facebook there was one i liked. Part of it was the punk rocker in me liked seeing diagonal red and black anarchist flag background with the hand print of a gorilla. Just looked really punk rock.

The second was, 11 down first one on the left. the abstractness of the gorilla seemed pretty cool to me. almost looked like darth vader's helmet. All in all, just about anything could be better than their current one, but i think they need a hired hand to fulful the potential.

ps. in response to "the mass of people who simply don't know how to design in the first place." case in point, facebook contest, black gorilla, 8 stars, not sure what's happening there.

#286074 - 12/14/12 07:14 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

I actually liked this one the most:

It's a pretty clever lockup of type, very simple, and downplays the silverbacks - which as a name I'm just not a fan of.

I also think the Portland Thorns crest is great excluding the color correction.

It's a clever name for a team in Portland and I like the "knotwork" style thorns but using "pure colors" tends to be abrasive to the eye since that kind of vividness is very uncommon in nature. So, ideally, a lot of designers will color correct that by using offset tones. So instead of using #000000 (raw black) you use #0f150e (which in this case is a black pulled off the bottom left extreme of the color chart, slightly up towards white and noticeably more to the right towards green. This pulls it towards the shade of green that is used in the crest and make the two, though already very similar in their propensity towards black on the color chart, much more complementary.

In a 30 second example of what I mean, here's a color sample that I think would be more attractive:

Edited by pfutz (12/14/12 07:19 AM)

#286090 - 12/14/12 05:54 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota United Gainesville
I don't mind the Impact name.

I like it because it is one of the few words in the French and English languages that mean the same thing and are pronounced the same way.

That is pretty cool.

Their logo sucks balls, though.

#286091 - 12/14/12 07:00 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: thesuperrookie]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

Why would anyone in a bilingual country not like the name L'Impact du Montreal?

#286107 - 12/15/12 11:23 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Canadiens is probably one of the best names in all the history of sport - Montreal probably busted their wad with it and are out of ideas.

#286161 - 12/19/12 01:23 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
pdemko Offline
Reserve Squad Starter

Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
Interesting thread.

Love the Thorns logo.

It was designed by a fan:

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012...portland-thorns

#286164 - 12/19/12 08:34 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pdemko]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Seattle Reign crest.

Very good.

#286166 - 12/20/12 03:37 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pdemko]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: pdemko
Interesting thread.

Love the Thorns logo.

It was designed by a fan:

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012...portland-thorns

True he is a fan but he's a fan who is a extremly talented graphic designer.

http://brentdiskin.com/timbers/propaganda.html

#286167 - 12/20/12 04:04 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

And speaking of the Reign, has everyone seen the parody site that I am guessing someone from Portland created. It's fantastic and expect that it won't be up long, so check it out soon. The logo is fantastic and check out their new coach.

http://www.seattlereign.org/

Then there is always this site.

http://www.seattlereign.com/

Alternate logo:

And looks as if they will be using the crown/trident to market apparel.
https://www.facebook.com/ReignFC

#286169 - 12/20/12 07:23 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

Loc: mpls
And speaking of the Reign, has everyone seen the parody site that I am guessing someone from Portland created. It's fantastic and expect that it won't be up long, so check it out soon. The logo is fantastic and check out their new coach.

http://www.seattlereign.org/

Pro-click here. Genius work by Portland fans.

#286171 - 12/20/12 07:55 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: c0ldfuse]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

I love the logo w/out the woman on it (w/ her on it, it looks like a new Starbucks offering), but that name is terrible. Just terrible. I can't hear the name without hearing a punchline drum fill.
It would lend itself well, however, to singing the name to the tune of Purple Rain...

#286173 - 12/20/12 09:27 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

a few things on the recent posts.
-I think the Reign logo is pretty sweet. Agreed tho, the name is [censored]. With or without the woman, it's a cool design.

-Diskin's stuff is awesome. I've referenced a couple of his designs on mock ups I've done before. Gotta say, one of my favorites of his, really really simple. Split green and white poster with "We Are" on each side. really cool.

-Portland's mock Reign site. Brilliant tactic. And Wes, if you notice, the Reign logo they put on the mock site actually is the Starbucks logo in blue and altered crown.

I can see how it's reminiscent of SB's logo, but the straight hair leads me away from Starbucks' mermaid. In all honesty, I'd take the Reign logo, slap a braided beard on it and it'd be a great Viking (not to be confused with that awful sport so many minnesotans are enthralled with)/nordsmen logo for an adult men's league team

#286174 - 12/20/12 09:57 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

It's a far step up and beyond any of the other logos from that league.

I'll agree, Portland Thorns, Seattle Reign and Chicago Red Stars are good logos. Tho Chicago's could use just something a little more to make it memorable. What that something is I don't know, but I like the flag and the 6 point star.

But the other 5 logos in the NWSL, just awful.

Boston Breakers - Reminds me of a U12 team. In fact, After looking around it's pretty damn close to one of the youth teams here in Duluth, the Gitchi Gummi Soccer Club. Weak at best. I'd actually take the Gitch over Boston's.

FC Kansas City - just awful. I think Wes said it best on the podcast this week. looks like generic "clipart shield with 4 little squares" yeah, so there's that.

Sky Blue FC
just looks like a updated Brinks security logo, mixed with Montpellier and foursquare. awful name as well.

Western New York Flash
everything about this is bad. Why western NY and not just NY? why the flash gordon lightning bolt? why the flash? again, very U12ish of them

Lastly, the Washington Spirit. Name choice again is bad, but i'm on the fence with their logo. It's not good, but they definitely tried a lot harder then the others i just mentioned. With some additional work i think that logo could turn out ok.

So there's my two cents. What other leagues/teams can we snobbishly pick apart their logos? this is entertaining me now that the semester is over and i have nothing to fill my days

#286176 - 12/20/12 11:22 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
pdemko Offline
Reserve Squad Starter

Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
Is the Gitchi Gummi Soccer Club in the new league?

#286180 - 12/20/12 01:34 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pdemko]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Hooligans, thanks for pointing out the Reign mockery. I didn't notice that they had changed the logo and I was really making fun of their version, so they're funny and I'm not bright.

I love seeing all these logos together because A) Peter Wilt's Chicago Red Stars got it right B) oh my god, there are bad designers out there.

#286181 - 12/20/12 02:36 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

MN Nice, If you read that latest article it actually is pretty funny and explains the Starbucks mermaid logo.

#286197 - 12/21/12 11:08 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Hooligans,
I have seen Diskin's stuff before (everyone check these out: http://brentdiskin.com/timbers/propaganda.html) and I absolutely love his approach. I hope that the Dark Clouds and continue to pull in this type of audience and get even more designers involved. Your Soviet flag that you made for this season was right in this alley.

Can you imagine a great poster campaign of propaganda posters throughout the city? That would be genius.

#286202 - 12/21/12 01:54 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

I submitted that design for the poster contest to promote the Dome opener last season. Needless to say, I didn't win. I was told it didn't capture the spirit of the team....? Still would have been cool to see that plastered all over Nicollett mall (well pictures would have sufficed) I had one printed off at officemax in 14x11 so at least i could hang one in my apartment.

#286204 - 12/21/12 01:59 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
JJE Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Twin Cities
Maybe Gitchi Gummi can fill in for the Islanders this spring?

#286205 - 12/21/12 01:59 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

I really don't even know where to put this, but since this thread is current and talking about team's brands did anyone see this disgusting subject up for vote?

"help us pick SA Scorpions' new jerseys...."

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1...nt=1&ref=nf

I hated the [censored] Barcelona, candy corn fade of orange to yellow (and it really sealed the candy corn feel when a player wore white shoes) but now, a fade trend catching on of lower division teams. black to read fade?

or how about the USMNT rip off?

dislike button, times 10

Edited by HooligansFC (12/21/12 02:01 PM)

#286209 - 12/21/12 02:25 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

I submitted that design for the poster contest to promote the Dome opener last season. Needless to say, I didn't win. I was told it didn't capture the spirit of the team....? Still would have been cool to see that plastered all over Nicollett mall (well pictures would have sufficed) I had one printed off at officemax in 14x11 so at least i could hang one in my apartment.

Let the Stars do what they think is necessary. Diskin's stuff is good because it is his own and it is for the fans, not the team.

#286211 - 12/21/12 02:44 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

I agree. I wasn't offended. Just saying, i didn't win. But a run of fan based posters made their way around town, that would be pretty sweet. Don't some call that grassroots somethin'or'nother?

#286212 - 12/21/12 03:02 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

I call it punk rock.

#286213 - 12/21/12 04:41 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

I agree. I wasn't offended. Just saying, i didn't win. But a run of fan based posters made their way around town, that would be pretty sweet. Don't some call that grassroots somethin'or'nother?
THIS WILL HAPPEN. We're going to have money in the preseason this year, so if you're inspired start designing [censored].

Anything Portland can do, we can do while holding down jobs.

#286215 - 12/21/12 05:19 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Also for real, Diskin isn't that great (sorry I'm not sorry)

Edited by pfutz (12/21/12 05:19 PM)

#286216 - 12/21/12 08:14 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Pfutz. PROVE IT.
I want to use something like this to start drawing in more artists.

#286222 - 12/22/12 06:30 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: Minnesota NiceFC
Diskin's stuff is good because it is his own and it is for the fans, not the team.

I respectfully disagree to a point. Yes, he is inspired because it's his team, but he also just plain gets design. That magic sprinkle dust that makes him a good designer doesn't just happen because he is a fan. As well, he did design the new Thorns crest for the Timbers which would in a sense disprove your theory. The guy is just plain good no matter what he does. Not that I don't understand the delineation between club and supporters. I think it's important for both.

Edited by bq (12/22/12 06:33 AM)

#286226 - 12/22/12 07:34 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Originally Posted By: Minnesota NiceFC
Diskin's stuff is good because it is his own and it is for the fans, not the team.

I respectfully disagree to a point. Yes, he is inspired because it's his team, but he also just plain gets design. That magic sprinkle dust that makes him a good designer doesn't just happen because he is a fan. As well, he did design the new Thorns crest for the Timbers which would in a sense disprove your theory. The guy is just plain good no matter what he does. Not that I don't understand the delineation between club and supporters. I think it's important for both.

I agree that these are just good designs. However, the ethos of the propaganda is the ethos of the Timbers Army, not the Portland Timbers. That ethos would be much different if it were funded by the team. But because it has organically grown out of fan support and DIY, it has developed a particular brand to it. If the team were paying for fake propaganda about their rivals, it would be really silly to be honest.
As for the Thorns, that doesn't have the same feel as this propaganda. It's good, but it's not the same.

#286230 - 12/22/12 08:14 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

"If the team were paying for fake propaganda about their rivals, it would be really silly to be honest."

Totally agree with you on this. That organic nature is what sells it and what makes supporters able to sell to their peers because it is not a sales job but a personal endorsement. Both the corporate sales job but also the organic word of mouth endorsements are vitally important to a clubs growth. Neither should be disregarded.

#286234 - 12/22/12 09:29 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

I think the fake propaganda idea isn't that great. Comes off as tired and internet-photoshop-2002.

Using the conceptual principles as an base for your image (ala HooligansFC's amazing flares banner) is completely different.

Edited by c0ldfuse (12/22/12 09:30 AM)

#286244 - 12/22/12 06:04 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: c0ldfuse]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

We already have quite a few good designers among our ranks that have put out good quality things for the crew over the years.

It would be great to have more involved, however.

I always though a poster show about soccer would be a good gimmick. Kind of like ArtCrank, but soccer.

#286250 - 12/23/12 07:55 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: thesuperrookie]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

You mean kind of like the Futbol Artist's Network only locally? If you haven't seen some of their work artist's have supplied, it's pretty cool stuff.

http://www.futbolartistnetwork.com/

But, when you say poster show it reminds me of the tweets i saw about the sale Timbers Army did toward the end of the season, selling a lot of Diskin's left over posters

#286252 - 12/24/12 08:00 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: thesuperrookie]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

Originally Posted By: thesuperrookie
We already have quite a few good designers among our ranks that have put out good quality things for the crew over the years.

I always though a poster show about soccer would be a good gimmick. Kind of like ArtCrank, but soccer.
Yeah, Adam Turman hasn't drawn that same chick he draws kicking a ball yet, has he?

#286253 - 12/24/12 09:22 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Originally Posted By: hairygrump

Yeah, Adam Turman hasn't drawn that same chick he draws kicking a ball yet, has he?

"BICYCLE KICK NORTH SUBURBS"

Edited by pfutz (12/24/12 09:22 AM)

#286259 - 12/25/12 08:49 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
thesuperrookie Offline
Hall Of Famer

Originally Posted By: pfutz
Originally Posted By: hairygrump

"BICYCLE KICK NORTH SUBURBS"

This is the most awesome back to back posts ever on this board.

I hear Adam Turman is working on a four part poster series based on the image of a soccer ball next to the Grain Belt Bridge in the pale moonlight and a hot chick straddling a bike.

#286264 - 12/26/12 06:07 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: thesuperrookie]
Msilverstein47 Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Nanuet, NY
gotta applaud Portland

What do you when you have a 96 percent renewal rate in your season tickets and 6,500 fans on your waiting list? If you're MLS's Portland Timbers, you extend your brand. Thorns FC, Portland's team in the new NWSL, has already taken more than 2,000 season-ticket deposits for its first season, putting it on course to smash the season mark for a women's pro team.

In 2001, the Washington Freedom with Mia Hamm reported having more than 3,000 season tickets for WUSA's first season.

WPS season-ticket sales for its first season in 2009 ranged from 1,583 for the Chicago Red Stars to 408 for the St. Louis Athletica.

#287276 - 01/23/13 07:53 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Looks like the final Silverbacks logo has been chosen. Top of the NASL website has the Silverbacks poker chip in line with the other teams

#287308 - 01/24/13 09:42 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
jimcrist Offline
First Team Member

those are all so terrible.

#287312 - 01/24/13 10:30 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: jimcrist]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

And that's what happens when you crowd source design.

#287313 - 01/24/13 10:41 AM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

To me that crest screams baseball. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

#287327 - 01/24/13 12:35 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
TurkishZath Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: St. Paul, MN
I was just trying to think about the name/designs that were come up with by MLS without fan input....

Quality.

We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. - J. Michael Straczynski

#287331 - 01/24/13 12:45 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: TurkishZath]
bruce Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: northeast minneapolis
Atlanta chose this one:

Overall Weirdness

du Nord Futbol Show podcast

#287336 - 01/24/13 01:29 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bruce]
KungFu-sionMN Offline
Novice

That looks like a bad A's Baseball logo.

#287337 - 01/24/13 01:31 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: KungFu-sionMN]
bornwithatail_ Offline
Novice

Loc: Saint Paul, MN
I'm reminded of the August Schell Brewing Company logo.

#287338 - 01/24/13 01:33 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: KungFu-sionMN]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

I never ever got the Mutiny's logo. what the hell was that weird looking thing and what does and alien looking bat have to do with

Noun: An open rebellion against the proper authorities, esp. by soldiers or sailors against their officers.

or

Verb: Refuse to obey the orders of a person in authority.

All of those logos really look so dated.

#287341 - 01/24/13 01:47 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bornwithatail_]
gordieloewen Offline
Reserve Squad Starter

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: bornwithatail_
I'm reminded of the August Schell Brewing Company logo.

That's what it is! I've been looking at that one for days trying to figure out what it reminds me of. Too bad they're half a country away from Schell's or there would be some awesome sponsorship opportunities for a tailgate.
Kids theses days... Back in my day we thought that crosses were supposed to be directed AT someone. I guess that's not cool or hep anymore. Oh sure, just whip it in there at no one. I'm sure Mario Balotelli will whine it in to the net.

#287342 - 01/24/13 01:58 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
TurkishZath Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: St. Paul, MN
I never ever got the Mutiny's logo. what the hell was that weird looking thing and what does and alien looking bat have to do with

Noun: An open rebellion against the proper authorities, esp. by soldiers or sailors against their officers.

or

Verb: Refuse to obey the orders of a person in authority.

All of those logos really look so dated.

I'm not certain what it has to do with "mutiny" but the logo was described by initial MLS PR material as a "cyber mutant" which "reached out from the blue depths of space" giving us "soccer reaching the fourth dimension."

And no, I'm not kidding.

The 90s were [censored] awesome.

We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. - J. Michael Straczynski

#287343 - 01/24/13 02:24 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: gordieloewen]
bornwithatail_ Offline
Novice

Too bad they're half a country away from Schell's or there would be some awesome sponsorship opportunities for a tailgate.

Now I'm wondering how much arm-twisting it would take to get Surly to start making some limited edition Stars-themed brew.

#287346 - 01/24/13 02:32 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bornwithatail_]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Originally Posted By: bornwithatail_
Too bad they're half a country away from Schell's or there would be some awesome sponsorship opportunities for a tailgate.

Now I'm wondering how much arm-twisting it would take to get Surly to start making some limited edition Stars-themed brew.

I doubt Surly would do that. but it has been done, but you needed to brew it yourself. Hoppyguy made a batch once

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/shining-star-pale-ale-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains.html

#287351 - 01/24/13 02:36 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: TurkishZath]
kj Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minneapolis
Originally Posted By: TurkishZath
I was just trying to think about the name/designs that were come up with by MLS without fan input....

Of course, there's a vast difference between fan input and crowdsourcing a design. Really, they left a bunch of cool things on the cutting room floor because they left the choice strictly up to a vote.

Strange and beautiful are the stars tonight.

#287352 - 01/24/13 02:40 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
bornwithatail_ Offline
Novice

I doubt Surly would do that. but it has been done, but you needed to brew it yourself.

Sweet, I've been looking for an excuse to get back into homebrewing.

#287353 - 01/24/13 02:49 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: TurkishZath]
uhclem Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota (in spirit)
An inside story here.

Originally, It was to be the Tampa Bay Mutant-y {hence the "cyber mutant...blue depths...fourth demension" extacy-inspired s***). Unfortunately, the press release announcing the team's name was composed on the cell phone of the team's VP of Marketing and Communication, resulting in history's first AutoCorrect fail.

Awaiting my panel debut on QI, I remain

That little old jersey collector

Me

P.S. It has begun. I have the list. More soon.

S

Edited by uhclem (01/24/13 02:50 PM)

#287432 - 01/28/13 02:11 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: uhclem]
bruce Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: northeast minneapolis
I always called that Mutiny symbol the Digi-Bat.

And the Schells bottlecap is way cooler than the Atlanta badge.

Overall Weirdness

du Nord Futbol Show podcast

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  hairygrump, jimcrist 
USL Discussions Chatter
Get ready! A new WC 2022 vote may happen.
by jw7
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
New ownership at Ft Lauderdale announcement Friday
by Soccer Boy
Yesterday at 07:23 PM
2014 Hounds
by Pghsoccer
Yesterday at 08:05 AM
4th Division Swiss Rookies
by futbol49
09/18/14 07:09 AM
VA Cavalry FC to sit out 2014
by Soccer Boy
09/17/14 09:26 PM
RBNY II
by futbol49
09/17/14 08:21 AM
Predictions for 2014
by futbol49
09/17/14 08:16 AM
Are stadiums built for viewing or team support?
by Pghsoccer
09/15/14 11:10 AM
US MNT Qualifying games for World Cup 2014
by jw7
09/13/14 09:29 PM
Crucial
by Pghsoccer
09/08/14 11:27 AM