USL/NASL Discussions USLSoccer.com :: USLFans.com :: TheCup.us :: NASL.com | Links | Link to US !
Article Posting Guidelines are spelled out here. Thanks
Announcement: After 15 years of life, these boards have dwindled to a place for a mere handful of folks to post links and have the rare discussion. Having born the financial burden for both the hosting and the software for that same 15 year period, and just not having the time anymore for this effort, I have decided to shutdown these boards at the end of the USL & NASL season later this Fall. It has truly been a blast to have been part of growing a nation-wide fanbase thru internet interaction, that in 1999 was slim or non-existent for the Lower Divisions of Soccer. That has all changed and for the better. Fan support around the country is nothing like what it was when I started this, so from that perspective, I feel I accomplished my small part in contributing to growing that connection into what it is today. Thanks for everyone's support over the years, and especially for all the friendships across the country that Vicki and I have so enjoyed (and still do) over the years. Thanks !! Dan Barnes
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
jw7 32
Pghsoccer 17
futbol49 13
Msilverstein47 11
Soccer Boy 7
Forum Stats
7278 Members
134 Forums
28300 Topics
298009 Posts

Max Online: 152 @ 09/20/13 11:24 PM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286059 - 12/13/12 02:13 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Loc: NE MPLS
The ATL logo design is again, the dumbest thing ever.
I should also note, I really liked the Chicago Red Stars brand. Classy.
And we should also note that all of the NASL brands are terrible. But it's so easy to pick out terrible brands (yet teams continue to fall into their traps).

I'll say for Sporting KC. I think they got their jerseys and color combo right. The logo might be generic, but it looks great on their jerseys.

#286060 - 12/13/12 02:39 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

They can't all be a chicken standing on an American football, Wes.

#286061 - 12/13/12 02:50 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
gordieloewen Offline
Reserve Squad Starter

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I still can't get over how much better our logo/crest is than the rest of the NASL teams though. The Stars and Edmonton are the only clubs that have a visual brand that has some depth to it without looking cartoony. As far as the NASL goes, I actually kind of hate most of the graphic stuff from the nostalgia/throwback team brands. It's sort of odd, considering that the only disagreement that I have with the previous statements about MLS branding is that I actually really like the "historic" DC United crest. It's pretty flat and static, but it does a nice job of conveying their history as an original league franchise, especially since it's only the second visual brand they've ever had.
Kids theses days... Back in my day we thought that crosses were supposed to be directed AT someone. I guess that's not cool or hep anymore. Oh sure, just whip it in there at no one. I'm sure Mario Balotelli will whine it in to the net.

#286062 - 12/13/12 02:53 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: HooligansFC
And speaking of logos..... did anyone catch the four finalists crests of Atlanta Silverbacks' contest???

I really couldn't pick one. I'd call for another set... Honestly their facebook album had a few that i would consider a good design, but none of them were picked as a finalist.

Hooligan, you do know that whoever wins this will then be put up against their current logo (also bad) and a new logo commissioned by the team and designed by a graphic illustrator that hopefully has some background in this sort of thing?

#286063 - 12/13/12 02:55 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
bq Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minnesota
BTW Minnesota Nice FC, I don't even begin to understand the basis of this thread you have created. There is nothing in it concerning the Cosmos. crazy

#286064 - 12/13/12 03:40 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: bq]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Loc: Duluth, MN
Originally Posted By: bq
And speaking of logos..... did anyone catch the four finalists crests of Atlanta Silverbacks' contest???

I really couldn't pick one. I'd call for another set... Honestly their facebook album had a few that i would consider a good design, but none of them were picked as a finalist.

Hooligan, you do know that whoever wins this will then be put up against their current logo (also bad) and a new logo commissioned by the team and designed by a graphic illustrator that hopefully has some background in this sort of thing?

I did not. then, there's still a chance that they'll have a decent logo in the end. wouldn't want to be that graphic designer, i imagine the following conversation.....

"here...we play soccer. our colors are black and red. our mascot's a gorilla and we love the over usage of ATL"

#286065 - 12/13/12 03:51 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: gordieloewen]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Originally Posted By: gordieloewen
It's sort of odd, considering that the only disagreement that I have with the previous statements about MLS branding is that I actually really like the "historic" DC United crest. It's pretty flat and static, but it does a nice job of conveying their history as an original league franchise, especially since it's only the second visual brand they've ever had.

to me, i'm torn with DC. Like you said, original team, little change over their entire history, the fact that they have a long history and I've seen some bad ass tifo with that bird. but in the end, it continues to remind me of a hood of a 70's firebird.

Edited by HooligansFC (12/13/12 03:55 PM)

#286066 - 12/13/12 03:57 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

You're right, Tim. That is completely awesome.

#286067 - 12/13/12 05:45 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Good to know about Chicago's crest. I think I get why it's there regardless as it needs to be more than just a fire dept. logo.

I really couldn't pick one. I'd call for another set... Honestly their facebook album had a few that i would consider a good design, but none of them were picked as a finalist. Have a look for yourself

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.459948847389681.113905.142163815834854&type=3

Atlanta's stuff is really bleh. But I also find red and black a really gross color combination in most executions.

I'm curious as to why the ATL type lockup seems so popular... is that a team logo or a city logo or something? Just curious.

From left to right:

1: Super boring, maybe that's to it's benefit. There's simply less to go wrong in the first place.

2: The best of the three, I guess. Don't love the red black stripes on the circular border, why add more visual interest? I get that they like striped jerseys but I don't think it requires a nod.

3: Definitely the best of the logos which actually have a gorilla in it (get a load of those if you want some bad design). I like the idea but it maybe could use a bit more work. Simple is always a benefit.

4: Probably my most hated option here. I don't get why you need an abbreviation and the word that's abbreviated in the logo. The ring also makes this big white space that ends up feeling very empty. The nature of the type lockup central with the est date below it (woefully illegible) means there's this massive unbalanced white space above the A.

I think it's fun to have community driven design events, but ultimately I think it's better to leave a brand in the hands of people who have a clearer thought process. We as fans have trouble removing our own nerdy historical intimacy and vast catalog of knowledge—not to mention the mass of people who simply don't know how to design in the first place.

Also - I agree that most of the NASL branding is pretty weak. Our's is pretty strong, though I do have to give it to the Cosmos because I love the crest. So simple, very "traditional soccer" while still feeling very much American. Uniquely 70's but it's aged far better than the Rowdies or Strikers for example.

I can't be sure if it's just some kind of misbegotten nostalgia that makes me so attracted to it, maybe, but I do think it has a strong foundation as well.

Either way [censored] em.

#286069 - 12/13/12 06:31 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

I feel like the first one is so generic, that in fact it looks just like the fake mock up of NASL Virginia crest without a question mark with different colors.

second one is ok, but i have to say, both 2 and 4 remind me of a poker chip. just not that exciting. the AS is ok, but i get the feeling the designer is an AS Roma fan cuz he tried multiple AS combinations including one that looked like a Bumpy pitch design and a couple others on the face book page.

Agreed that the third one finally has a gorilla on it.

and everything Ben said is true about the third, just the fonts, the size, the design. Fail.

Of all the designs on facebook there was one i liked. Part of it was the punk rocker in me liked seeing diagonal red and black anarchist flag background with the hand print of a gorilla. Just looked really punk rock.

The second was, 11 down first one on the left. the abstractness of the gorilla seemed pretty cool to me. almost looked like darth vader's helmet. All in all, just about anything could be better than their current one, but i think they need a hired hand to fulful the potential.

ps. in response to "the mass of people who simply don't know how to design in the first place." case in point, facebook contest, black gorilla, 8 stars, not sure what's happening there.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  hairygrump, jimcrist 
USL Discussions Chatter
MLS referee suspended
by Msilverstein47
Today at 06:00 PM
Get ready! A new WC 2022 vote may happen.
by jw7
10/21/14 11:57 PM
Ottawa vs. FC Edmonton preview
by Msilverstein47
10/21/14 06:35 PM
Where in the world is...Nick Rogers?
by Soccer Boy
10/19/14 03:54 PM
USL PRO Fee2015
by Pghsoccer
10/17/14 09:32 PM
MLS here they come