USL/NASL Discussions USLSoccer.com :: USLFans.com :: TheCup.us :: NASL.com | Links | Link to US !
Article Posting Guidelines are spelled out here. Thanks
Announcement: After 15 years of life, these boards have dwindled to a place for a mere handful of folks to post links and have the rare discussion. Having born the financial burden for both the hosting and the software for that same 15 year period, and just not having the time anymore for this effort, I have decided to shutdown these boards at the end of the USL & NASL season later this Fall. It has truly been a blast to have been part of growing a nation-wide fanbase thru internet interaction, that in 1999 was slim or non-existent for the Lower Divisions of Soccer. That has all changed and for the better. Fan support around the country is nothing like what it was when I started this, so from that perspective, I feel I accomplished my small part in contributing to growing that connection into what it is today. Thanks for everyone's support over the years, and especially for all the friendships across the country that Vicki and I have so enjoyed (and still do) over the years. Thanks !! Dan Barnes
Who's Online
1 registered (Soccer Boy), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
jw7 33
Msilverstein47 28
Pghsoccer 25
futbol49 24
Soccer Boy 15
Forum Stats
7278 Members
134 Forums
28295 Topics
297922 Posts

Max Online: 152 @ 09/20/13 11:24 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286049 - 12/13/12 12:50 PM Portland Thorns/Crest Survey
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Loc: NE MPLS
I was admiring the new Portland Women's team brand: Portland Thorns and thought it would be fun to poll everyone on what they think of MLS brands (MLS Extratime radio was talking about this as well).
If you had to rank them, what would be the best/worst?

I'll get you started: Toronto FC is a generic name with a decent logo, but nothing particularly catchy, but I think it's a good brand for some reason. Don't know why.
Best brands: Philly Union (oh that crest is genius! Great colors). Portland Timbers (crest is iconic). Chicago fire (again, that crest has character and is iconic).
Meh brands: Sporting KC (they've made it work, but the crest is a bit generic), Montreal Impact (dumb name, I love the fleur de lis, but think it could be a better crest).
Shoot me in the face bad: Columbus Crew (someone should be shot for this), SJ Earthquakes, New England.

Your turn. Agree? Other nominations?

#286050 - 12/13/12 01:31 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Clever crest design considering the brand. Donít love the meaningless white spiked bar around the interior grey circle but itís not the end of the world.

This is basically a rehash of the Mexican sideís crest and itís obviously a very traditional design. Itís fine.

I think this one is pretty good for an American soccer crest. It has the requisite soccer ball, but itís not too obnoxious considering overall the crest has a pretty streamlined design.

Barf. Probably the worst crest in all of soccer.

I think this feels very dated, the type looks like the logo from HBOís Oz. Overall I think itís pretty bad but I suppose considering itís history itís nice that they havenít redone the thing.

Keep gradients out of logo designs as they do not resize well. The bull itself is pretty fine, I think itís novel that they wedged the Dallas burn nod into it. Overall itís pretty middle of the road, I appreciate that itís not incredibly superfluous and pseudo euro.

This is logo would be great if it was for the USSF and it was 1992 but neither of those things are the case.

Eh, I think itís not the worst but I feel like there was a very missed opportunity here. The logo nods to nothing excluding the central star obviously denoting Texas, which is kind of flippant to me.

At least the star isnít five pointed.

Aformention gradient issues aside I think itís basically good. I thought they really, really, oversold it with their launch video however. Everything should have meaning in a crest, but holy crap did they make sure you knew it.

#286051 - 12/13/12 01:32 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

This would look great on an aluminum can.

I think those smell squiggles coming off the soccer ball are supposed to be the quake part.

I think this is pretty bad. Overly busy, has the acronym and the name of the team on the same crest.

This is one of the best crests in the league. While the design style (not the contents) is a little ďContemporary AmericanĒ for me, it does a good job of having meaning without beating you over the head.

Donít love that they just MLS-ified (i.e. made cartoony) their old crest, but itís still basically the same, good, functional crest. Good work overall.

This is pretty good, the spikes of it are not my favorite but the thing has solid, simple, obvious meaning. The type could have been handled better perhaps. Seattle gets hard to hard to read as soon as it shrinks but at least they didnít use a serif text.

Weird and bulgy crest. I donít get it. Bad treatment on the type for SC. Difficult legibility on the Kansas City from the light grey and white.

I love this crest. I love the gunmetal and red, I like the stylized maple life. I like the type treatment. Clever feathering on the banner to make it seem leaf-y. Good all around.

Favorite in the league. Very nuanced nod to not only the name, but the asthetic of the city being on the water and right against the Canadian Rockies. Very simple, very modern. So good.

#286052 - 12/13/12 01:36 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: pfutz]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Loc: NE MPLS
"I think those smell squiggles coming off the soccer ball are supposed to be the quake part."

-Smell squiggles. THAT'S IT. I have been trying to figure out why those look stupid.
Also, I guess I haven't looked at the RSL badge much. Wow it's dumb. The goofy "e" in Real...

#286053 - 12/13/12 01:45 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

Loc: Duluth, MN
or the fact that there's absolutely nothing "royal" about the team. Real is an awful tradition picked up from overseas. Most probably know that the name Real, meaning royal, was actually given to team in Spain BY THE KING OF SPAIN! Why the hell try and transfer that to a country with no relation to a monarchy. RSL really was one of those ploys by MLS to pick up a certain kind of fan. I like the team and i actually like the blood red, navy blue and gold, but i agree, the logo's a bit weak

#286054 - 12/13/12 01:50 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

I also feel that the 8 6 points around the grey circle of the Fire's has a significance to the city. I'm not sure what, but i feel like i read that somewhere. I'm probably wrong tho.

And before pfutz mentioned it, i've never really looked at Colorado's. It is a decent design.

Lastly, Whitecaps. I never got it til now. maybe i was blind and dumb, or i just didn't pay attention to it, but it makes way more sense now. Now that i got it, i'm impressed with it.

Edited by HooligansFC (12/13/12 02:08 PM)
Edit Reason: can't count i guess

#286055 - 12/13/12 01:58 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

And speaking of logos..... did anyone catch the four finalists crests of Atlanta Silverbacks' contest???

I really couldn't pick one. I'd call for another set... Honestly their facebook album had a few that i would consider a good design, but none of them were picked as a finalist. Have a look for yourself

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.459948847389681.113905.142163815834854&type=3

#286056 - 12/13/12 02:06 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
goatcart Offline
Novice

Originally Posted By: HooligansFC
I also feel that the 8 points around the grey circle of the Fire's has a significance to the city. I'm not sure what, but i feel like i read that somewhere. I'm probably wrong tho.

I'm pretty sure those are the points of the stars used on Chicago's city flag.

[img]http://introvert.net/images/2005/02/chicago-star-full[/img]

Edited by goatcart (12/13/12 02:08 PM)

#286057 - 12/13/12 02:08 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: HooligansFC]
hairygrump Offline
First Team Starter

Originally Posted By: HooligansFC
I also feel that the 8 points around the grey circle of the Fire's has a significance to the city. I'm not sure what, but i feel like i read that somewhere. I'm probably wrong tho.
The stars on the Chicago municipal flag have six points, so those six "spikes" are the points of the star. That stuff is somewhere in everything the Fire graphic office put out.

#286058 - 12/13/12 02:09 PM Re: Portland Thorns/Crest Survey [Re: hairygrump]
HooligansFC Offline
First Team Member

my bad

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  hairygrump, jimcrist 
USL Discussions Chatter
Get ready! A new WC 2022 vote may happen.
by Soccer Boy
09/22/14 09:30 PM
RBNY II
by futbol49
09/22/14 08:20 PM
Are stadiums built for viewing or team support?
by Pghsoccer
09/22/14 09:50 AM
Congrats!
by Msilverstein47
09/22/14 09:14 AM
2014 Hounds
by Pghsoccer
09/21/14 08:58 AM
New ownership at Ft Lauderdale announcement Friday
by Soccer Boy
09/19/14 07:23 PM
4th Division Swiss Rookies