USL/NASL Discussions USLSoccer.com :: USLFans.com :: TheCup.us :: NASL.com | Links | Link to US !
Article Posting Guidelines are spelled out here. Thanks
Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters (30 Days)
Msilverstein47 110
Soccer Boy 53
jw7 36
Pghsoccer 32
futbol49 30
Forum Stats
7274 Members
134 Forums
28203 Topics
297058 Posts

Max Online: 152 @ 09/20/13 11:24 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#276043 - 10/31/11 10:37 AM MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Will it happen? Can it happen?

I don't care.

We just watched this state win the NASL Championship.
http://nscminnesota.com/2011/10/stars-win-nasl-championship/

Zygi Wilf and Garber have talked about it already.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/20...esota-expansion

Right now there are decisions being made about the new Vikings Stadium:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/red...IhMM_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/red...VzCM_story.html

What should matter to us is that we make sure ANY new vikings stadium is MULTI-USE REAL GRASS and large enough for FIFA regulation play.

If you want MLS in MN, write Governor Dayton TODAY and make it known. Also contact MPLS Mayor R.T. Rybak, who is proposing options in Minneapolis.

If hard work can win us an NASL title, hard work is what will win us MLS.

Contact form for Governor Dayton: http://mn.gov/governor/contact-us/form/

Mailing Address:
Office of the Governor
130 State Capitol
75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155

Other ways to reach the office:

Telephone: 651-201-3400
Toll Free: 800-657-3717
Minnesota Relay 800-627-3529
Fax: 651-797-1850

Contact form for Mayor Rybak: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/forms/mayor-opinion/

Mayor R.T. Rybak
City Hall, Room 331
350 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Phone: (612) 673-2100 or
call 311 or call (612) 673-3000 outside Minneapolis

Fax: (612) 673-2305

See you tomorrow to celebrate NSC Minnesota's NASL CHAMPION STATUS at Brits!

Edited by pfutz (10/31/11 11:08 AM)

#276044 - 10/31/11 10:53 AM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: pfutz]
JJE Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Twin Cities
Just wanted to point out that the official facebook fan page is here: https://www.facebook.com/mls4mn. The old group is mostly vestigial to my knowledge.

Also, a Twitter option is available.

#276045 - 10/31/11 11:02 AM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: JJE]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Let's take it to them on all fronts. Talk every way you know how.

We need the right location. First we push for a pitch, then for a team.

Make it happen!

Edited by pfutz (10/31/11 11:06 AM)

#276046 - 10/31/11 11:05 AM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: JJE]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

Loc: mpls
"See you tonight to celebrate NSC Minnesota's NASL CHAMPION STATUS at Brits!"

It's Tuesday Nov 1st.

#276047 - 10/31/11 11:08 AM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: c0ldfuse]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Originally Posted By: c0ldfuse
"See you tonight to celebrate NSC Minnesota's NASL CHAMPION STATUS at Brits!"

It's Tuesday Nov 1st.

Whoops! Wrong days

(p.s. Brad, shut up and tweet! wink )

Edited by pfutz (10/31/11 11:09 AM)

#276049 - 10/31/11 11:24 AM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: pfutz]
c0ldfuse Offline
First Team Member

Loc: mpls
Already done!

#276051 - 10/31/11 11:55 AM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: c0ldfuse]
seamonster Offline
Hall Of Famer

Loc: Minneapolis
Posted this over at the MLS4MN website too.

http://www.mls4mn.com/mls4mn-why-we-need-to-talk-about-it-now/

#276052 - 10/31/11 12:18 PM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: seamonster]
Minnesota NiceFC Offline
First Team Starter

Loc: NE MPLS
I went ahead and sent both messages. I'm not really in favor of gov't money for stadiums, but that doesn't really matter here. If we're going to do it, it should take more into account than just football (and U2 concerts).

These were the points I emphasized:
1. MLS. Whether it is Zygi or someone else, if MLS comes to Minnesota it means at minimum 18 home games. And with attendance figures in the league matching those of the NBA, this is not a small amount of money.
2. The World Cup. Stadiums like the Gophers stadium are always built with the lie that "this could be used for the World Cup!" This is patently false. TCF stadium does not have the correct field size to be modified for an Internationally sanctioned soccer match. This is why the voices of soccer fans needs to be taken into consideration so that there is more than lip service to soccer.
In short, this process needs to involve soccer experts and fans if you are going to make a stadium that can be used for more than just one sport.

#276053 - 10/31/11 12:39 PM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: Minnesota NiceFC]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

Good points.

Come on people, tell your friends. If you think this happens in a way different from us motivating to tell the state - let me know how.

I don't care what gets MLS here, I just want it. If you do too... now's the time to speak up.

#276056 - 10/31/11 01:08 PM Re: MLS 4 MN - Why we need to talk about it now [Re: pfutz]
pfutz Offline
First Team Starter

If you don't have the time to write a letter, here's what I sent to Rybak:

Hi Mayor Rybak

My name is FIRST NAME LAST NAME . I am a fan of NSC Minnesota, the team that just won the NASL Championships in North America.

NASL is the 2nd division of US Soccer.
MLS is the first.

Right now our state is talking about a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings, which I support. I support it because a new stadium has a lot of potential to bring revenue to our city, and state.

It has this potential because sports are great revenue drivers. They create jobs before and during their existence. They create tax revenue, bring out of state dollars and contribute a vibrant, and vocal, culture of a place.

There are few sports greater at doing this than soccer.

Soccer has a long successful tradition in our state, on the field and off. From storied days of a 30,000+ fan filled met stadium cheering on the MN Kicks, to our recent final against Ft. Lauderdale that drew 4,500+ which we won (3-1) before going on to win the NASL Cup the weekend after.

More than attendance figures at home, it’s important to understand soccer is growing in this country. Just recently the Seattle Sounders filled their stadium with 64,000+ people for their goalie’s last regular season match before retirement. Like NSC Minnesota, the Sounders drew about 4,500 people to their matches before joining MLS.

It seems a dream to think that soccer could be so successful in this country, but considering the league’s average attendance now surpasses that of NBA—it’s reality.

Zygi Wilf sees this potential. That’s why he’s already spoke with MLS about getting a team. An additional 18 games at the stadium (not counting post-season, U.S. Open cup games, World Cup qualifiers, and national/international friendlies) would provide an excellent revenue source for the city and state during the Football off-season.

Commissioner Don Garber and the MLS have responded well to Minnesota, they see potential in our state and they’ve become curious about us. Best of all, they want to grow their league, which is why they’re currently looking for a 20th team to add.

Are we that 20th team? Sure, it’s a possibility, but if you ask the Dark Clouds—the Supporters Group of NSC Minnesota, they’ll respond in a fashion typical of modest Midwesterners.

Who knows, we’re more focused on compromise. MLS is and should be our goal, but our first priority is to make sure it’s a possibility.

We believe the new Vikings stadium, like any taxpayer supported project, should work to provide the greatest potential benefit to Minnesotans. That’s why we request that any new stadium in our state meet the following standards:

1. Create a true multi-sport facility
2. Build a stadium around a real grass field, not turf.
3. Ensure the field meets FIFA regulated soccer dimensions

I am happy to talk to you about these requests, as would any soccer supporter in the state. Please, call me at PHONE NUMBER HERE if you have questions. Or, better yet, join us tomorrow night at Brits Pub to celebrate our NSC Minnesota on winning the NASL Championship.

I’ll be the first to buy you a beer.

Thanks for reading R.T.

YOUR NAME

Edited by pfutz (10/31/11 03:19 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  hairygrump, jimcrist 
USL Discussions Chatter
NYCFC
by Msilverstein47
Today at 12:47 PM
MLS expansion franchise???
by Soccer Boy